Basic Crepe Recipe
French Crepes are a pleasure to eat and a must for every hobby cook to know how to cook them. The main ingredients of the batter are eggs, milk, and all-purpose flour. Seasoned with vanilla extract, sugar, a pinch of salt and a tablespoon of melted butter makes the crepe perfect.
Here in Switzerland, it's very common to make crepes for lunch or dinner and serve them sweet or salty. I remember when I was little I loved to come home from school for lunch and when I opened the house door, I already had the smell of fresh crepes in my nose. My preferred topping was sugar & cinnamon and still is.
There are several ways you can serve it with. As everybody has his own favorite, I like to place all toppings on the table so that you have the choice. Nutella, raspberry jam, sugar & cinnamon, applesauce, maple syrup and chocolate powder. These toppings are for the sweet ones of us.
If you prefer it salty, you can add some cheese, spinach, ham or whatever you like. I would recommend you add the cheese when the crepe is still in the pan, this way it can melt and smells even more delicious.
Basic Crepe Recipe
Serves 6 big or 8 small
Batter Chill Time
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk (240mL)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (128g)
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- Place all ingredients into your kitchen machine or in a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Set the batter aside for 30 minutes.
- Preheat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Add one tablespoon of butter or oil, let it melt and add one heaped spoon of the batter into the pan. Swirl until the bottom is covered.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, then turn your crepe and cook the other side for another 2 minutes.
- Repeat this procedure until all batter is used. At the end you should have about six big ones or eight small ones, it depends on the size of your pan and how much of the batter you take for each crepe.
- Serve the crepes with Nutella, jam, applesauce or sugar & cinnamon.
Aline’s Suggestion: After step 5, place the crepes in the oven at 80°C to keep them warm until you serve them. If you don't use the whole batter, you can place the remaining part in your fridge for one day and make fresh crepes with it the next day.