Veggie Soba Noodles with Miso Sauce
Soba Noodles have many advantages. They are gluten-free and have a low percentage of carbohydrates. The main ingredient is buckwheat flour, but sometimes they are mixed with normal wheat flour, so make sure to check the label when you buy them. I do love them with vegetables and a homemade miso sauce. I found this great purple Chinese cabbage, you can see the intense color in the picture. It's quite hard to get this sort of Chinese cabbage in Switzerland, but it will work just fine with the "normal" Chinese cabbage. The recipe for this very delicious Veggie Soba Noodles with Miso Sauce is just one version of how I cook it. You can make it with each veggie you like and please be courageous to cut your veggie leftovers into the pot.
Recipe for Veggie Soba Noodles with Miso Sauce
1-2 Person (depends on your appetite) - 30 Minutes
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 shallot or small onion, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 2cm ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, thinly sliced (I always remove the first layer of the lemongrass)
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into long sticks
- 100g Chinese cabbage, thinly sliced
- 3 green onions (scallions), thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds (roast them for about 5 minutes on medium heat until golden)
- 50g soba noodles, cooked according to the label (about 4 minutes in hot water)
- 1 tbsp light miso paste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 0.5 tbsp sesame oil
- 0.5 lime, just the juice
- 0.5 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp sambal oelek
To make the miso sauce, place all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat until hot. Add the coconut oil, shallot, garlic, ginger and lemongrass and cook for about 2 minutes until golden. Add the carrots and Chinese cabbage, cook for 5 minutes on medium high. Meanwhile, cook the soba noodles according to the label and add them to the veggies. Add the miso sauce and stir for another minute until everything is well combined. Serve the noodles in a bowl and top with green onions and sesame seeds.