Velvet Chicken with Cashew Nuts
If you do not know velvet chicken, it's a kind of preparation the Chinese use to make the chicken very tender. You coat it with a mixture of egg white and cornstarch, which prevents the chicken from getting dry during cooking.
If you have time, I recommend you to velvet your chicken over-night. But if you do not like to plan your meal in advance, velvet it at least 30 minutes before you are going to cook.
This is how I velvet my chicken over-night. You just have to mix and egg white until stiff, add one tablespoon of cornstarch and add your sliced chicken. Mix well and store it in a glass jar over-night (in your fridge of course 🙈).
The rest of the recipe is as well very simple. Slice all ingredients very thin and cook them with coconut oil in a non-stick frying pan.
Add your chicken, sauce and cashew nuts - et voila you have a very tasty chicken with cashew nuts. By the way, I ate it the first time in Thailand, one of my favourite dish there.
I would recommend you serve it with some basmati or jasmine rice.
Velvet Chicken with Cashew Nuts - Serves 2 - 30 Minutes
- 220g chicken breast
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 30g cashew nuts
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cm ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, thinly sliced
- 5 shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 0.5 tbsp hoisin sauce (alternative oyster sauce)
- 1 tsp sugar
Velvet your chicken over-night - Or at least 30 minutes before cooking it
- Wash the chicken breast with water and dry it with a paper towel. Cut into 1 cm pieces.
- In a large bowl, whisk your egg white until stiff. Add one tablespoon of cornstarch and mix until well combined.
- Add the chicken and stir well. Place the mixture in a glass jar and store it in the fridge over-night.
*Aline's Suggestion: The outcome is the best if you velvet your chicken over-night. But if you do not find the time or do not like to plan one day in advance, velvet it 30 minutes before you cook the chicken.
Chicken with Cashew Nuts
- Roast the cashew nuts for 5 minutes over medium heat until they are golden brown, set aside.
- Meanwhile, cut the garlic clove, ginger, and lemongrass very thin. Preheat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add one tablespoon of coconut oil, garlic, ginger, and lemongrass and cook for 5 minutes. Stir constantly.
- Cut the shiitake mushrooms into thin slices and add them to the pan. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the velveted chicken and fry on high heat for another few minutes until the chicken is well-cooked.
- Meanwhile, mix all ingredients from the fish sauce until the sugar in a bowl and set aside.
- Add the sauce and cashew nuts to the chicken and stir until well combined.
- Serve your velvet chicken with cashew nuts with some rice or noodles.